Wicker is a slender grass like shrub that is woven to make furniture. The individual blades are woven or laced together to form wickerwork, which is then woven around a frame to form tables, chairs and sofas. Some people confuse wicker furniture with willow, rattan or other synthetic materials. Wicker is in fact a material but in the course of time, many people refer to it as a particular style of making furniture (wickerwork) and not to the material as such.
Wicker furniture has been in use from ancient times. The Egyptians have used wicker, both for furniture and as storage vessels. Ever since, wicker has come to denote sturdiness and longevity. Due to its lightweight design and its rusty yet beautiful looks, it lends itself easily to outdoor patio furniture.
Benefits of outdoor wicker furniture:
- The wicker weave suits almost all sorts of climatic conditions. The weave is heat and moisture resistant. So, it can easily be placed in areas where the sun is relentless or there is some amount of moisture. Synthetic furniture can even withstand rain and other harsh climatic conditions. Its incredible resilience makes wicker furniture the best buy for all types of conditions.
- Outdoor wicker furniture is lightweight yet sturdy. This mikes them very portable. At the same time, they do not topple over very easily. So, pieces of wicker furniture may easily be handled by young children. In your outdoor area, it may be necessary for people to move pieces of furniture around. Wicker is the best because it is lightweight but sturdy.
- It is very comfortable. In itself, the furniture is cool and airy. Some people like to add fabric or foam padding to the furniture to make it plush and luxurious. Wicker lends itself easily to such additions.
- One of the most obvious benefits of outdoor furniture is maintenance. These pieces are easy to clean. On a regular basis, users only need to dust it with a light cloth. If dust settles into the crevices, it is possible to wash and dry synthetic wicker furniture. Once the pieces are washed, they are as good as new. Thus, these pieces of furniture have incredibly long lives. Low maintenance is a boon to families with small children as children can drop something over the furniture and the dirt will easily wash away.
- Lastly, wicker furniture looks perfect out of doors. They gel beautifully with the rustic elements outside the house. They mesh well with plants and trees and bring a feeling of the great outdoors into your backyard.